Creating high-impact landing pages are essential if you want better results from your online marketing efforts. And there are now many tools that help you quickly create landing pages.
But which landing page tool is best? To help you decide, I have compared the three leading landing page tools – Unbounce versus Instapage and Leadpages. I created a comparison table including ratings for key aspects of the tools, listed the pros and cons of each, and who each tool is best for.
First of all, why use a landing page tool?
- Lets you create high quality website pages quickly and easily without needing help from developers
- Few design skills are needed as tools come with many stylish modern templates to choose from
- You benefit from templates featuring best practices to convert more visitors into sales or leads
Unbounce vs Instapage vs Leadpages: The main differences
So now let’s move onto the actual ratings and comparisons for these major landing page creation tools. As you can see each has their own specific advantages and disadvantages:
||7/10 Plans from $90 a month for their ‘Launch’ level (20K visitors).||5/10 Plans from $199 a month for ‘Building’ level (30K visitors).||9/10 Plans from $37 a month for ‘Standard’ level (unlimited visitors).|
|Amount and quality of templates
||9/10 Over 100 high quality templates with built in conversion best practices. All mobile optimized.||9/10 Over 90 good quality templates which are all mobile optimized.||7/10 Highest amount of templates offered, but many cost extra. Varying quality of templates, but all mobile optimized.|
|Ease of use of the page editor
||8/10 Ease to use page editor. Advanced features are harder for beginners though.||8/10 Simple to use and intuitive editor menu system. Ideal for beginners.||8/10 Easy to use editor that is very intuitive and ideal for beginners.|
|Ability to customize pages
||9/10 Excellent ability with full drag and drop options. Not limited to a grid system.||9/10 Good drag and drop and CSS page editing options. Also includes ‘Instablocks’ for sharing across many pages.||5/10 Very limited page customization ability as it uses a rigid grid layout for editing.|
|Amount of landing page features
||8/10 Great amount of features. Includes popups, sticky bars, dynamic text replacement and Smart Traffic optimization.||8/10 Good amount of features. Lacks popups, but includes re-usable blocks, very fast loading, and on-page commenting collaboration features.||7/10 Highest amount of features and includes variety of popup and exit intent options.|
|Analytics and reporting options
||8/10 Simple reporting of traffic and conversions, with good option to get traffic and conversion reports by email.||9/10 Excellent reporting functionality and conversion tracking, now with click heatmaps on premium plans.||8/10 Good reporting and graph options make it easy to understand traffic and conversions.|
|A/B testing options
||6/10 Only in the ‘optimize’ and up plans (from $120 per month).||8/10 Good A/B testing options includes in all plans.||7/10 Only included in the ‘pro’ level and up plans (from $74 per month).|
|Popup lead generation options
||9/10 Offers good easily customizable popups including exit intent features, and available with all plans.||5/10 Basic popup boxes with all plans, but no exit intent popups included (I recommend using OptinMonster for this).||9/10 Strong emphasis on popups with their excellent ‘Lead Boxes’ feature, including exit intent options.|
||8/10 Phone, email and live chat support at all plan levels. Coaching included in enterprise level.||9/10 Customer success manager, live chat and email support at all plan levels.||6/10 Varies by plan. Email support only at lowest plan. Phone support only in highest plan.|
|Overall rating||9/10 Has the best page editing options and flexibility. Definitely the best option for experts and marketing teams.||8/10 Great all-around tool, but costs more than Unbounce. Reasonable editor with good features, for beginners and experts.||7/10 Lowest cost and great popup options, but page editor gives least flexibility. Better suited for beginners.|
|Free trial?||14-day free trial plus 20% off first 3 months||14-day free trial – no credit card needed||14-day free trial – credit card needed though|
As you can see from the comparison table, all three tools have high ratings, so now let’s explore in more detail. Here are the pros and cons of each tool, and then which type of user each tool is ideal for.
Overall an excellent choice, ideal for marketers who want to get the most flexibility for creating pages.
- Has the most flexible editor which is not restricted to a grid system like LeadPages uses
- New popups and sticky bars feature for lead generation is excellent and highly customizable
- Great high quality templates with many conversion best practices built in
- Has dynamic keyword replacement for getting better results from PPC campaigns
- Offers the best support options even at the lowest plan level, including phone support
- A/B testing only in the ‘optimize’ level and up which starts at $135 per month
- Doesn’t offer as many features as the other tools e.g. lacks countdown timer
- Beginners may prefer other landing page tools that have a simpler grid editing system
Rating on G2: 4.4/5 (as of March 2022)
I arranged a great deal with Unbounce to give you 20% off!
Overall a great landing page tool for beginners and experts, with good options (apart from offering no popups though), and a simple to use editor.
- The highest amount of templates included with fairly good quality
- Has one of the easiest to use editors for customizing pages, great for beginners
- Great collaboration options for building across teams, including commenting
- Very easy to setup and integrate with WordPress and other common tools
- Offers great built-in click heatmaps on their premium plans
- They had a recent price increase, now up to $199 for their basic plan
- Only basic popup functionality included, unlike the other tools reviewed
- More expensive than Unbounce which offers similar features
- The editor could offer more customization options, not as good as Unbounce
Rating on G2: 4.3/5 (as of March 2022)
The lowest cost option and great for beginners wanting to create pages quickly, although has the poorest flexibility to customize pages out of all the tools.
- Excellent popup functionality with their Lead Boxes feature, great for lead capture
- Offer the lowest monthly plan for creating landing pages ($37)
- Good amount of templates that don’t need much customization
- They offer the biggest template marketplace if you want to buy versus create
- Poorest page customization options out of all tools, restricted to a fixed grid layout
- They don’t offer the ability to start from a blank page, you must start from a template
- Many of their templates look very average or have become too commonly used
- A/B testing is only available in the ‘pro’ level which is $74 per month
Rating on G2: 4.1/5 (as of March 2022)
So which landing page tool is better?
As you can see, when comparing Unbounce versus Instapage and Leadpages, all three tools rate well. Each have different strengths and weaknesses which will be more important to different types of users. To help you understand which is better for your needs, here are the main tool differences and who each is ideal for:
- Use Unbounce if you want the most flexibility for creating pages and the most customization options. Ideal for experienced online marketers with advanced needs for landing pages.
- Use Instapage if you want a great overall tool for creating landing pages and have a bigger budget. Ideal for teams of online marketers with moderate landing page needs.
- Use Leadpages if you are beginner or want simple landing pages, and don’t want many customization options. Ideal for entrepreneurs who want to create landing pages, and people with lower budgets.
So which tool you should chose really depends on what your needs are for creating landing pages. I use Unbounce for creating my landing pages as I prefer greater editing options and flexibility. I suggest you check out Unbounce, Instapage and Leadpages, and see for yourself as they all now offer free trials.
That is my expert 2 cents for the best landing page tools. Now over to you – which is your favorite tool for creating landing pages? Please comment below.
Disclaimer: This comparison review contains links that earn referral fees for me. I would appreciate you using these links when you sign up for a trial with any of these tools.